top of page


For anyone in crisis or emotional distress - you can always contact LifeLine, 24/7 where you can speak to a trained counsellor.

If you wish to speak to a GP about your mental health, the charity MIND have put together a useful guide on how to prepare for this: here and here.

There are a lot of resources and teams available to help you with your general mental health.

For common mental health problems, the RCGP recommend GPs take a staged approach in line with national guidelines that often involves a combination of approaches. This might include medication (if appropriate) and referral onward to psychological therapies, support groups, befriending, rehabilitation programmes, educational and employment support services. Of course, there is always the option of referring you for further assessment and interventions in secondary care if needed.

Please see here about sleeping pills and benzodiazepine (diazepam etc) requests. These are not usually provided for mental health problems unless started by a specialist.

Many of the supporting resources can be accessed by you directly and you can refer yourself:

AMH - Counselling Self-Refer

INSPIRE - Mental Health & Addiction Support

CRUSE Bereavement Support Counselling

NEXUS Sexual Abuse & Abusive Relationships

RelateNI - Relationship Counselling

Women'sAid NI

There are many more services in NI you can contact directly - you can look at all of them, here.
bottom of page